[Serusers] presence, buddies

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Mon May 19 14:17:29 CEST 2003

Anna, comments inline.

On 19-05 13:39, anna wrote:
> Thank you very much for quick answers, one more question though, I really need to get around this problem.
>
> Is it possible to "translate" the buddy list into SIP and get the status/presence messages sent to the sip client in a notify message WITHOUT sending all these subscibe(´s).

  No, that is currently not possible. There is a draft on this topic,
  see draft-ietf-simple-event-list-00. It specifies how to send a single
  SUBSCRIBE for a collection of events.

  But this is a very recent document and I haven't seen any user agent
  or server implementing it.

  So it is not possible right now, it hasn't been standardized yet.

> Jabber send this big load of buddies to the Ser (see bellow in highlighted *2), who now just ignores them, but what if we split up all these buddies and send them in notify´s to the client.
>
> Question: is it possible to send a lot of notify´s without sending "subscribe" to SER first.

  No, NOTIFY messages are sent by the server only if the user agent asked
  for it by sending a SUBSCRIBE to the server. What you propose is not
  feasible.

  Why, actually, is the SUBSCRIBE a problem ?

    Jan.