[Serusers] Firewall

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Mon May 5 22:04:52 CEST 2003

Hello,

On 05-05 10:17, Hans Scheffers wrote:
> I have an Astaro Linux Firewall. This firewall blocks everything (what I
> want  :)), and is based on on iptables.
> In my network I have a sip-phone (hardware & software) that  i would
> like to use to make phone calles using VoIP
> When I use my Astaro Box, the Sip protocol isn't known on the firewall.
> I would like to use the SER to register my phone(s) and to place calls
> through the internet to other VoIP users (and if possible msn users :)

  Getting VoIP that blocks everything is a complex topic. There are
  several proposals available, none of them works in all situations,
  though (except Rosenberg's recent ICE draft).

  Basically, you can install ser in your NATed network and your SIP
  phones will be able to register. To make calls to the public internet
  your either must make your phones to put public IP address of the NAT
  box into SDP or you will have to use a ser module called nathelper
  which can mangle those IP addresses at the server. You will also
  probably need to set up portforwarding of port 5060 on your NAT box.

  So, as you see, it is not easy. It depends a lot on your phones. Do
  they support STUN ? Can they be preconfigured to put public IP of the
  NAT into SDP ? What phones do you have ?

   Jan.