[Serusers] Accounting Script

Greg Fausak greg at august.net
Wed Mar 26 15:40:13 CET 2003

Jan,

I've actually written the postgres module for SER twice now.
It isn't working consistantly for me.  Things run for  while
and eventually core dump.  That is why I haven't released it.

I think I'm a pretty good coder.  I can't believe I can't make this
work!
The layering in SER is very good, and it frustrates me that
I cannot get the module to work for an extended period of time.
I must be missing a fundamental concept.

I put debugs in the code, and printed a message every time any of the
main modules were entered.  My results were not conclusive, but it
occurred to me that the init/open module wasn't being called
before the channel was being used.

I also had another bug where the communication channel becomes
corrupted...so I put some code in that closed and reopened the postgres
bb com channel in the event an error occurs...this worked but it should
not be necessary.

Anyway, I had a postgres module that worked for serveral
hours at a time.  I can dust it off and see if I can get it going again.
Perhaps with your help we can finish it.  I have every intention
of releasing the code via GPL.

I too perfer postgres over mysql for many reasons.  We are doing our
SER accounting in postgres.

---greg