[Serusers] Multiple Registrations

Greg Fausak greg at august.net
Wed Mar 19 23:01:38 CET 2003

> Greg,
>
> thanks for the info, as I have no ISP experience, it is hard for me to
> understand why such restriction is benefical for ISPs. Some
> comments are
> inline, I would appreciate if you could give me more hints.
> I've sent a
> patch that implements the restriction, but honestly I still
> don't understand
> motivation for the restriction.
>
> On 19-03 14:19, Greg Fausak wrote:
> > Jan,
> >
> > I agree hat the feature is very useful.  However, from
> > an ISPs point of view, it may be desireable to restrict it.
>
>   Why is it desirable ? Why, for example, your costumers are
> not allowed
>   to have MS Messenger for IM&P and some kind of SIP
> hardphone for voice
>   sessions ?

Jan,

I agree with you, it is desirable to have this functionality.
However, from an ISP point of view I want to charge customers
for it!  2 SIP devices will take twice the support as one SIP
device.  I can't being to tell you how many support calls we get when
someone has two POP email clients reading the same POP
server.  An ISP sells service.  If the customer want's the 'multiple
phones share the same SIP proxy account' service then it is appropriate
to charge for it, because we have to support it!

Also, 911 is an issue.  If we are doing emergency delivery for
a 911 call we need to know that it comes from the phone at
the location that needs the help.

I'm sure there are other reasons.  Certainly it doesn't hurt anything to
provide the ability to limit to 1 registrant, no matter what the reason?

> > Most of our customers are only permitted one sip phone
> > connection.  Same sort of thing with dialup accounts, it is
> possible for
> > radius to authenticate multiple connections, but, an ISP may only
> > wish to allow one dialup connection...this was difficult to do with
> > radius for quite a long time.  I know I would like to restrict my
> > customers to just one connection.
>
>   I think that dialup account is something completely different. I
>   understand that ISPs want to restrict costumers to just one
>   connection, but on top of the single connection you can have several
>   simultaneous SIP sessions running. You are limited by the available
>   bandwith only. I think that you don't restrict users to
> just one FTP
>   connection at a time, do you ? Why do you want to restrict
> SIP this way ?

I believe FTP is also something different.  The bottom line is
The ISP will get contacted by the customer when the SIP phone
line doesn't work.  I certainly don't want a 3am phone call from someone
that can't get something to work that I didn't sell them.

Anyway, if these restrictions cannot be made it doesn't matter to
me too much.  However, if it was possible for me to restrict the
customer
to just one SIP phone connection I would definitely do so.  I think it
Is a good idea...but that is just my opinion :-)

Thank you,
---greg
Greg Fausak