[Serusers] SER restarts X whenever there is a config error

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jul 29 18:54:22 CEST 2003

On Jul 29, 2003 at 12:19, Director General: NEFACOMP <dg at nefacomp.net> wrote:
> I don't know if this is a bug.
>
> Whenever SER encounters an error in the ser.cfg file, it restarts the X
> server (or KDE. I might be confused but what I know is that it logges me
> out).
>
> Is there any way of overcoming this problem. Because if I have some other
> jobs that I am doing, it closes everything and I have to relogin.

What version of ser do you use? Is it the latest stable cvs (0.8.11rc1)
or unstable version?

How do you start ser? Do you start it from a terminal/console?

Fisrt time I saw this mail I thought you have some X config problem, but
if you use an old ser version and you start ser from KDE/run (and not
from a console) it might kill all your kde. This is because kde doesn't
change the pgid when it starts a program and old ser versions used to
send a SIGTERM to the entire process group. ser changes its pgid, but
after parsing the config file, so if the config file is bad a SIGTERM
will be send to the ser original pgid (which in the kde case includes also
most of the kde processes).

Andrei