[Serusers] ser, pstn gateways

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Jan 28 20:43:21 CET 2003

At 05:41 PM 1/28/2003, Jev wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Im using ser, with esteras softphone, and a couple of cisco ata186's. I have to say I really like ser, as it is small fast, and reliable without being over complicated.

Thank you :-)

>I would like to know what other ser users and developers use for pstn gateways? I have a openline4 card from voictronix, but there is no software support for sip (When I bought it I thought I would use h.323).
>
>I have looked at cisco's pstn gateway modules, but was turned off them because of price, and lack of clear straight forward information to name but two reasons.

We use the devices in question, Cisco's 2600 w/VoIP modules (which cost us about $5000
two years ago), for PSTN access. I recall they have a cheaper product family now.
I tried to deploy Vovida's residential analog gateway along with a LineJack
card but the attempt failed because I had no way to determine my analog PBX's
tone characterisics. I have one box from Audiocodes and one from Allied Telesin,
both with four analog lines at about $1000 -- but I haven't tried them yet.
Asterisk open source may be another affordable option, but I haven't given it
a try yet either.

-Jiri