[Serusers] Password problem with ser and mysql

Klaus Darilion darilion at ict.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jan 16 18:34:00 CET 2003

Hello!

I have sucessfully installed the ser server (0.8.10 from rpms) with an
mysql database. When I use the standard password for the user "ser"
everything works fine. But if I change the password from "heslo" to a
new one, for example "klaus" instead of "heslo" (of course in the
mysql-database und in the config file) the ser server can not start up.

Following are some different configurations and my suggestions what
could be the problem.

ser.cfg: modparam("auth", "db_url", "sql://ser:heslo@localhost/ser")
mySQL-root-password: XXXXX
mySQL-ser-password: heslo
---> works fine

ser.cfg: modparam("auth", "db_url", "sql://ser:klaus@localhost/ser")
mySQL-root-password: XXXXX
mySQL-ser-password: klaus
---> doesn't work: connect_db(): Access denied for user: 'ser at localhost'
(Using password: YES)
should work, so I tried another user

ser.cfg: modparam("auth", "db_url", "sql://root:XXXXX@localhost/ser")
mySQL-root-password: XXXXX
mySQL-ser-password: heslo
---> works fine

ser.cfg: modparam("auth", "db_url", "sql://root:XXXXX@localhost/ser")
mySQL-root-password: XXXXX
mySQL-ser-password: klaus
---> doesn't work: connect_db(): Access denied for user: 'ser at localhost'
(Using password: YES)
very strange, because I told ser to connect as root. Is ser using the
default user/password instead of the configured one?

ser.cfg: modparam("auth", "db_url", "sql://root:YYYYY@localhost/ser")
mySQL-root-password: XXXXX
mySQL-ser-password: heslo
---> doesn't work: connect_db(): Access denied for user:
'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
of course it doesn't work, wrong password. So ser cares about the
settings in ser.cfg

So my suggestion is that ser connects several times to the database
whereas one time it uses the configured user/password and another time
it uses the default user/password - maybe a bug in the auth module?

Or does somebody of you changed the password successfuly?

It would be nice if you can help me.

Thanks,
Klaus

My system is:
Linux version 2.4.18-14 (bhcompile at astest.test.redhat.com) (gcc version
3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #1 Wed Sep 4 12:13:11 EDT 2002
MySQL 3.23.52
ser-0.8.10-2.i386.rpm
ser-mysql-0.8.10-2.i386.rpm