[Serusers] Rewriting URI in the Contact field

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 10 15:15:14 CET 2003

Yes, I know - we have studied all those methods in details. Our
method of choice is symmetric signalling/symmetric media (aka COMEDIA)
due to the following reasons:

1. Things should work without modifying or reconfiguring existing
user's infrastructure (NATs) and should be compatible with all
widely-used NATs.

2. We are bound to ata186 as UA. It is compatible with this method.
Support for other UAs isn't required.

3. The calls will be terminated to Cisco GWs, while COMEDIA support
was recently added into Cisco IOS, so that theoretically the only
thing we need is to add received/rport support into proxy/registrar
and update IOS at termination points.

4. No media relay is allowed, because this will create excessive
bandwith load in a single point.

5. COMEDIA support is likely to become part of the standard, so that
our investments into development are protected.

-Maxim