[Serusers] Crash in SER

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Feb 21 16:55:21 CET 2003

On Feb 21, 2003 at 15:54, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at portaone.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've observed the following crash in ser. Do you have any ideas what
> the cause could be?

Something is corrupting the malloc structures. It's probably some kind
of buffer overflow (more bytes are written than allocated).

Because ser is compiled with DBG_QM_MALLOC, it checks at each
qm_malloc/qm_free if  the internal memory structures are ok.
In this case after a shm_free it detects a fragment with its end
overwritten and then it tries to display the list with all the allocated
fragments (qm_status()). During this operations it coredumps.

> I'm keeping corefile and binary compiled with debug symbols, so that
> don't hesitate to contact me if any additional information is
> necessary.

In this case the ser log would be much more helpful.

Andrei