[Serusers] Some thoughts and questions

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Feb 18 21:07:31 CET 2003

At 12:07 PM 2/18/2003, Tomas Björklund wrote:
>.1.     Logging funktionality
>
>        I'm used to being able to log more detail than what I can get out
>        ser. I'm problably missing something in the documentation, but
>        what I want is something like the following

We would like to have that too. We've been thinking of
log("hello world: method=%m, src_ip=%s"). Unfortunately,
it will not show up in the upcoming release, since we are
simply too busy with making too many other changes. I would
wish to have it in the overnext release.

>.2.     Rewrite rules
>
>        Is it possible to rewrite the from uri?
>
>        For example when I [sip:tomas at krixor.xy.org] want to call a pstn
>        number I must rewrite the from address to
>        [sip:myphonenumber at krixor.xy.org] before I send the request to
>        the pstn gateway

That is quite tricky -- it is close to protocol breaking. The From header
field has been designed read-only in SIP. Nevertheless, this application
has been already asked for. I wrote a short text on how to do that for
those who wish to do so.
http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ser/sip_router/doc/tmemo/tmemo-jiri-sat.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

>I haven't looked at the source in the CVS yet, but I aim to do so soon, I
>saw in the list archive that you have lots of nice new features planned
>for the next release. ENUM support is one of the better ones :)

ENUM is on CVS, if you have courage to play with CVS code and problems
occur we will be glad to help :-)

-Jiri