[Serusers] Is there a tool for benchmarking SER?

Nils Ohlmeier nils at ohlmeier.de
Sat Feb 15 19:53:49 CET 2003

On Saturday 15 February 2003 19:30, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Our company mostly finished development of the SIP VoIP system that
> consists of the SER for registration, de-NATifying, and routing and
> B2BUA for debit applications. Now we would like to test performance of
> the whole system under the load. In the SER's documentation I saw very
> impressive performance numbers and wonder how they were obtained. Are
> there any freely-available tools for creating huge number of SIP
> sessions simulateneously and if yes, how they can be obtained?
>
> Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

The numbers from the documentation are not obtained with sipsak
(http://sipsak.berlios.de), but you can give it try.

A simple meassurement with 1000 users could look like this:
'sipsak -U -e 1000 -l 5070 -s sip:test at atyourproxy.com;
sipsak -I -e 1000 -l 5070 -s sip:test at atyourproxy.com'
The first registers 1000 users and prints out the duration at the end. The
second command simulates a successful call to each of the users and also
prints out the duration.
To get real load on your servers you should do this from multiple hosts at the
same time with different users.
If you just want to stress you server use the flood mode (-F). This wont
meassure anything, but you will probably learn the limits of your system :-)

Regards
  Nils