[Serusers] Routing with ser / Problems with linphone

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Sat Feb 15 00:18:59 CET 2003

/* digging through the archives to make sure I haven't missed anything
   while I was off-line last weeks ...
*/

I actually think that is a backwards compatibility issue in SIP.
Loose-routing works correctly if sender knows whether the next-hop
is loose or strict router. That is a correct assumption as long as
the routing information collected automatically in record-route
tells you that. If you use pre-configured Route along with an
outbound proxy, you configure this strict/loose on your own and
you need to get it right. Hence, when you configure loose routing
for use with a strict outbound router, things will fail.

Anyway, with lr support in next ser release, it should not matter
any more. We've had the same issue with kphone previouly, it works
since an option has been introduce to enforce use of strict routing.
see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/sipping/current/msg03451.html

-Jiri