[Serusers] kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 3780 (ser).

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Feb 5 13:12:56 CET 2003

On Feb 05, 2003 at 12:03, jaime.gill at orange.co.uk <jaime.gill at orange.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have had a strange crash in the SER server we use. The load was not that big
> - around 10 users being served at that time. All of a sudden, the server stops
> responding and reports the following error in /var/log/messages:
>
> Feb  4 14:41:35 sip kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 3780 (ser).
> Feb  4 14:54:52 sip kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 3857 (ser).
> Feb  4 14:58:08 sip last message repeated 10 times
> Feb  4 15:02:17 sip kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 3860 (ser).
> Feb  4 15:13:32 sip last message repeated 66 times

It seems like the kernel OOM killer picks up ser as its victim.
However ser never use more memory then ~ 1Mb + the size given to -m (or
32MB if -m is not used). So either you use too much shared memory (-m
size is to big) or there is some other application eating a lot of
memory and the kernel OOM picks ser for some obscure reason.

Andrei