[Serusers] SER outbound routing?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Wed Dec 31 11:35:55 CET 2003

> I can think of the following solutions:
> - Buy a phone with multiple lines and program the credentials in the phone

I've got a 7940 with 2 -> but I need about 4 (no I don't have a 7960 hanging
around).  This isn't a scalable solution, especially when you don't want to
have to explain to the wife how to dial ...

> - Use Asterisk next to ser and have a prefix routed to asterisk.
> Configure asterisk to register with the proxy.

Yeah, I've tried Asterisk - I got it to register and thought you beauty,
it'll solve my problems, but it just got in the way trying to do all the
media recoding etc - I want to use G.729 but it won't let me - some calls
worked, some wouldn't - very ugly.

> I'm not sure, but maybe when a b2bua module is made ser could act as a
> UAC and register with other proxies.

I think this is quite important - running a SIP gateway for residential use
is going to be more and more common.  I'd really like to see this bit happen
so that a Linux Gateway can be setup (maybe a modified version of one of the
firewall/mail server distribution ones) so that anyone can get a basic
machine, drop it on the network, plug some phones in and get in/out dial
working quickly.

--
Matthew