[Serusers] SER outbound routing?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Sun Dec 28 08:44:03 CET 2003

Hi,

I have a few questions about SIP and SER - feel free to blast me if
they've been asked and answered before - I have tried to find my answers.
I'm fairly new to SIP but not to VOIP (I'm sorry, most of my life is spent
with CCM).  I've played with SIP a bit but not really indepth.

The Scenario:

I have a few SIP phones at home (mostly Cisco 7940s and ATAs etc) and I want
to build a residential gateway that will allow me to do the following in
terms of "external" stuff:

Route outgoing calls to particular proxies that require (usually) digest
authentication (eg. iconnecthere for international dialing, fwd, etc) - the
thing I don't get is the authentication side of things - ie. the phone won't
know it needs to authenticate so the SIP proxy must provide this ...

"Register" with external proxies so that (eg. FWD and iptel.org ) and so
that it knows to send calls to my FWD number to my proxy
server so that my proxy can route to my internal phones and/or send the call
on to whereever I may be.

I've read through the SER documentation and I can see how to rewrite URIs
but I was confused about how digest auth works with that.

Can I actually do the SER registering with other proxies?  I realize this
really isn't the role of a SIP server.  Is there a better way of doing this?
Have I really just missed the point somewhere along the line? (I'm quite
prepared to accept that I may have ..)

I've had a play with getting Asterisk to do this and got it to register etc,
but got a bit stuck with the whole media/codec side of things (and basically
gave up prematurely!)  I just wanted to do some SIP things!

My idea with doing these things is to see if I can figure out a bit of a
"packaged" up version of SER for those of use who want to integrate things
like FWD/iptel.org etc into our "normal" telephony environment at home.
(Anyone know what the easiest way of getting an FXO port at home is?)

--
Matthew