[Serusers] Voicemail errors and other issues

Gavin Bensom gavinb2i at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 02:03:54 CET 2003

Hello All,

First, I created subtle problems in SER by having an alias entry for the host ip in the ser.cfg file.

I don't recommend doing the following [where 10.10.10.49 is the ip of the host where SER is running].

alias=10.10.10.49

Next, I've had similar problems to a user who posted recently about SEMS being unstable.  Occassionally it just stops playing the greeting, however, even if the greeting doesn't play, SEMS will still record audio. Overall, I've had a lot of frustration with SEMS.

Attached is my ser.cfg file and some error messages from syslog.

Here is a scenario which is causing problems with voicemail.
User sip:info at mydomain.com is not logged in anywhere, however that user has calls being forwarded to sip:mvestal at mydomain.com and sip:esavelle at mydomain.com.

The location table shows these entries correctly. In addition, mvestal and esavelle are also in the location table at specific ip addresses.

When a call come in for sip:info at mydomain.com, it gets forked propery. However, if no one answers the call before the fr_inv_timer expires, SER tries to hand the call off to VMSER [second instance of SER which is running on port 5090 and is handling voicemail] but the error messages in the attached logs show up. The calling party typically hears ringing continue after SER had timed out, and then gets a busy tone a few seconds later.

I'm also going to try Asterisk. There is a specific feature of Asterisk which I think would benefit SER/SEMS a lot.

We will set up Asterisk so that we do and append_branch(); in SER as soon as a call is initiated to an internal extension. Asterisk can then be set to wait a certain amount of time before it answers the call. This way, the fr_inv_time feature of SER isn't necessary for getting calls into voicemail [SEMS or Asterisk.]

Also, it is very nice to be able to use a phone to check voicemail. No all users are necessarily sitting on their email inboxes all day long.

Any help on the bug would be greatly appreciated.

Noah