[Serusers] Totally lost! proxies, firewalls, gateways, etc, etc, etc ...

Andres andres at telesip.net
Fri Dec 12 16:29:44 CET 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 10:13, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2003 at 12:06, Pablo Murillo <pm at rednet.com.ar> wrote:
> > Thanks Klaus, but ...
> >
> > If, I use RTP proxy all the traffic would go through my server or am I
> > mistaken?
>
> Yes, all the RTP traffic will go through your RTP proxy. The ideea is to
> do this only when necessary. From ser.cfg you should "force" RTP proxy
> usage only if  the caller, the callee or both of them are behind a
> symmetric nat. You can try to get arround nat with STUN and fall back to
> RTP proxy only for UAs which don't support it or are behind symmetric
> nats (if STUN is used the sip packets will contain the nat public
> address, so they will look like "normal" not-behind-nat UAs).

Right.  For example in our network we always ship out units to our customers,
preconfigured for STUN or Port Forwarding.  I neither is possible then we set
them for our RTPProxy.  Right now we only have about 5% of our users going
through the RTPProxy.  And we are quite happy with that!  Before we had the
RTPProxy we had to turn those customers away.

Andres
http://www.telesip.net