[Serusers] Totally lost! proxies, firewalls, gateways, etc, etc, etc ...

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Dec 12 16:13:02 CET 2003

On Dec 12, 2003 at 12:06, Pablo Murillo <pm at rednet.com.ar> wrote:
> Thanks Klaus, but ...
>
> If, I use RTP proxy all the traffic would go through my server or am I
> mistaken?

Yes, all the RTP traffic will go through your RTP proxy. The ideea is to
do this only when necessary. From ser.cfg you should "force" RTP proxy
usage only if  the caller, the callee or both of them are behind a
symmetric nat. You can try to get arround nat with STUN and fall back to
RTP proxy only for UAs which don't support it or are behind symmetric
nats (if STUN is used the sip packets will contain the nat public
address, so they will look like "normal" not-behind-nat UAs).

Andrei