[Serusers] symmetric nat/ broadband routers

Nils Ohlmeier nils at ohlmeier.de
Thu Dec 4 21:45:09 CET 2003

Am Thursday 04 December 2003 21:22 schrieb Ricardo Villa:
> On our lab we have a RH7.3 box with iptables firewall and NAT.  When we
> were initially testing the nathelper module we found out that external
> pings did NOT keep the sessions alive on this box.  Only pings going from
> inside towards the internet.  At that point we decided to simply rely on
> the ability of devices like the ATA186 and GS phones to send a SIP Dummy
> packet from behind the NAT in order to keep the sessions alive.  So far
> this approach has worked 100%.  It is possible that the Linux box just
> needed some tweaking, but we needed a solution that worked seamlessly with
> all customers.

I do not know which kernel version RH7.3 uses, but for Linux kernel version
2.4 this is not true. I have a Linux router with 2.4 kernel as NAT box
running. And a phone behind this NAT is perfectly reachable, because the NAT
pings keep the connection tracking open. The default timeout for established
UDP connections is 180 sections. If the natpinger is below that value it
keeps tha hole open. at least for me :-)

Greets
  Nils