[Serusers] Problem creating mysql database

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Thu Dec 4 13:39:15 CET 2003

Hello,

On Thursday 04 December 2003 11:13, Franz Edler wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using SuSE Linux 9.0 and try to run SER 0.8.11.
>
> SER is now already running and the next step for me is to add the mySQL
> database.
>
> During installation of ser_mysql package I ran into a package inconsistency
> because SER 0.8.11 requires libmysqlclient.so.10 and SuSE Linux 9.0 uses
> libmysqlclient.so.12. Full of hope I ignored the warning and the situation
> is now the following:

I suggest you compile from source. We simply do not have the time and manpower
to keep a park of all distributions in every version out there in the wide
world to provide binary packages.

> MySQL server is running.
> I called /usr/sbin/ser_mysql.sh.
> But the mySQL management tool command "SHOW DATABASES" shows only two
> databases mySQL and test, where I also expected ser.
> When I issue the mySQL management tool command "SELECT * FROM USER" I get
> the error "ERROR 1046: No database selected"
>
> Has anyone an idea what I can do?
> Is the problem caused by the ignored inconsistencies of
> libmysqlclient.so.1x?

Sorry that i have to say: RTFM.
It is no where mentioned that the installation of the rpm also creates the
databases. That would IMHO often end in a real disaster.
After you installed the rpm's you have to create the required database with
the ser_mysql.sh script.

Regards
  Nils