[Serusers] Rewriting From header fields

Thilo Salmon salmon at netzquadrat.de
Wed Dec 3 14:23:09 CET 2003

Hi,

after reading through the archive of this list I feel like I need to
come up with an old issue once again, since I have not found a suitable
solution for my setup.

I have to user agents. #1 is a registered iptel user and #2 is
registered with say "ipfon.org". UA #2 is only capable of  numerical
adressing within its own realm (such as a Grandstream phone). UA #1 is
known to the world as 12345678 at iptel.org and can be reached from UA #2
through its proxy by inviting 39312345678 at ipfon.org (i.e. the user can
dial 39312345678 on the Grandstream to reach UA #1).

It would be terrific to submit a working callback address for UA #1 to
UA #2. This callback address however, needs to be within the called
party's realm, I believe (the Grandstream has comes with a dialpad
only). Unlike some pstn gateways the Grandstream does not parse the
Remote-Party-ID header field. Is there another header field to address
this issue? If not, I have no idea how this can be solved but by
rewriting the From header such as

UA #1                                         Proxy                   UA

INVITE       -->                       "REWRITE"     -->
INVITE
From: 12345678 at iptel.org                                 From:
39312345678 at ipfon.org

and keeping track of any subsequent messages. How would you approach
this problem?

I read through tmemo-jiri-sat.txt as this memo adresses the potential
problems and suggest an implementation. Has anybody started to implement
the suggested solution?

Thilo