[Serusers] What's the best solutions ? RTP Proxy or STUN Server ?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Dec 2 23:31:58 CET 2003

Jiri Kuthan wrote:

> At 10:48 PM 12/2/2003, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
>>Jiri Kuthan wrote:
>>

>>>at best both, STUN does not help with all kinds of NATs. Use STUN
>>>if you can, RTP proxy otherwise. -jiri
>>
>>You can't choose between the fruit basket and an apple...
>

> I'm not good in agronomy so I can't compete in statements about fruits,
> apples and other healthy food.
I didn't involve tofu :-)

> However as for NATs, the strategy "use STUN by default, rtp relay as last resort"
> works pretty well. STUN actually does the magic to let your calls through
> for many NATs.
Your right, but for documentation I should say "use STUN discovery to make the
client behave correct for your network. If it doesn't work out, use a RTP relay".

Or have I missed something in regards to STUN? STUN, TURN, COMEDIA - I wish
we didn't have NAT's... IPv6 - a glory new world.

/O ;-)

*** Olle E. Johansson, oej at edvina.net

Mobile +46 70 593 68 51, Edvina AB, http://www.edvina.net
Runbovägen 10, 192 48 Sollentuna, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 594 78 810, Fax: +46 8 594 78 820