[Serusers] Problem starting

Felix Schmid felix at belugalounge.net
Mon Aug 25 10:37:30 CEST 2003

Hello all,

I am a beginner to ser; I hope I can get some help on this list with
my problem.

I got ser running on several machines on my home network (it's not
difficult though); however now I am trying run install ser on my
internet host, which runs on a virtual machine, to set up my own small
test bed. The provider limits the memory to be used by each vm to 32MB.
When I start ser I get this error:

#/usr/sbin/ser
'Too much shared memory demanded: 33554432'

Is it possible to change the amount of memory ser allocates? I have read
the docs and guides accompanying ser, but I can't remember having read
something about an option like this. Can I just change the amount of
memory being allocated in the sourcecode without screwing ser up? I can
live with ser not being able to serve thousands of requests - a couple
of dozens is enough for me. If so, can someone point me to the line of
code that is causing the error (I am suspecting the ser memory
allocation initialization routine)?

Help would be very appreciated,
cheers,
felix