[Serusers] Force MySQL Authentication

Chad Brown chad.brown at identitymine.com
Mon Aug 25 09:01:52 CEST 2003

Ser Version: ser 0.8.11rc4 (i386/linux) - Downloaded from
http://iptel.org/ser/tarball

After downloading the .tgz on August 23:

1.	Installed latest version of MySQL
2.	ran: make all
3.	ran: make install
4.	performed steps outlined in Dan Austin's HOWTO to enable MySQL
authentication in ser.cfg
5.	Added user/s
6.	Restarted ser

I noticed that users not in the database could still register with ser.

FHI - There seams to be a discrepancy between Dan Austin's HOWTO and the
INSTALL document on http://iptel.org <http://iptel.org/> . Dan's only
mentioned uncommenting /usr/lib/ser/modules/mysql.so where the INSTALL
document mentions loadmodule "/usr/local/lib/ser/modules/auth.so" as
well. The reality is, there is a third line namely loadmodule
"/usr/local/lib/ser/modules/auth_db.so". Regardless, I tried all
variations.

Just to be sure, I re-installed the MySQL module: make
include_modules=mysql install

Any ideas why my test users can still register without authentication?
Why my users with valid accounts added via serctl seem to register
rather than authenticate?

Thanks,

Chad