[Serusers] Newbie Questions about SER/serweb

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Sat Aug 23 19:38:58 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Saturday 23 August 2003 19:28, Nell Bolen wrote:
>====================
>
> Question #1 (about serweb): Will serweb pages run with php in safe mode?

> Problem with serweb and ser_fifo:
>
> Serweb pages get the following error messages:
>
> At the top of any user page:
>
> Warning: fopen("/tmp/ser_fifo", "w") - Permission denied in /pathway to
> serweb pages/functions.php on line 172
>
> Lower down on any user page, between User:X and "your email":
>
> sorry -- cannot open fifo
>
> Below is the source of the error message from functions.php:
>
>  /* open fifo now */
>  $fifo_handle=fopen( $config->fifo_server, "w" );
>  if (!$fifo_handle) {
>   $errors[]="sorry -- cannot open fifo"; return;
>  }
>-----------------------------------
>
> Question #2 (about serweb): Who owns ser_fifo and what permissions are
> needed to access it? Default
> permissions/ownership show me: prw-r--r--    1 root     root

As the warning from your web server already tells you, the permissions on the
fifo are not enough. The owner of the web server (apache, nobody, or whoever)
needs write access to the fifo to be able to communicate with SER.

>------------------------------------
>
> Question #3 (about ser server): How does one assign a network address
> for the server as seen
> in the ser.cfg example?
>
> listen:  192.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> Default config in rpm contains no such line. (Sorry to be so dense, but
> I know next to nothing about
> sip, ser, etc. Too new to all of it.) Is the network address line
> necessary, and if yes, how does one assign
> a network address?

Normaly SER listens on all available interfaces automaticly. If you want to
restrict it to listen for example only on one interface 'ser -h' tells you to
use 'ser -l [192.xxx.xxx.xxx|foo.bar|ethX]' or you can add a line
'listen=192.xxx.xxx.xxx|DNS-name|interface-name' in the global section of
your config file.

Regards
  Nils