[Serusers] Anyone with binaries or RPMs that will work on RH 7.0?

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Tue Aug 19 03:38:14 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 03:03, Paul Arnott wrote:
> Unfortunately the machine I am trying to install ser on is headless (i.e.
> an appliance) which makes compiles very difficult and I don't have any
> other RH 7.0 machine available to recompile on. So does anyone have RH 7.0
> binaries or RPMs that have been recompiled to fix the following problem?

>--------------------------------- Desc:  ser won't run on linux kernels <2.4
>  (fails with EINVAL when intializing the shared memory)
> BugId:  n/a
> Ser version: 0.8.8, 0.8.9, 0.8.10
> Workaround: Upgrade to a 2.4.* kernel (older kernels don't support shared
>             mmaping of /dev/zero ) or recompile ser with SYSV shm instead
> of mmap (remove -DSHM_MMAP from Makefile.defs)
> CVS status: n/a
>
> The RH 7.0 RPMs at the download site seem to have this problem (must have
> just been compiled without testing?).

You are right, the 7.0 RPMs were created on a RH 7.0 with 2.4 kernel (sorry
about that). But as SYSV shm is a performance penalty, i would suggest to
upgrade your kernel or use a newer RH release (with 2.4 available).
I guess we do not have any box with a <2.4 kernel available any more, so we
will probably do not support this for the future.

Regards
  Nils