[Serusers] , about shared memory

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Thu Apr 24 03:51:41 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Thursday 24 April 2003 03:32, jimmy_huang wrote:
> Hi ,
> In Ser's Makefile.defs , originally , it define PKG_MALLOC , SHM_MEM ,
> SHM_MMAP ,for shared memory,
> and I would like to marked it , cause i want to try let it not use shared
> memory
Question for my personal intereset: why do you want to do it?

> (and modified ser.cfg let it just produce one main parent process )
Modifing ser.cfg will never result in just one process, because their is
allways a timer process.

> I tried marked those three definitions , but it has error when compile ,
> it seems some modules still need functions which only exist when those
> three definitions is defined,
> do those three definitions can't marked?
> or in ser , it can't work without using shared memory , can't mark those
> definition?
It hardly depends on the modules you use. But usrloc for example will not work
without shared memory. And i think also tm will not work without shared
memory.
So if do not use any module which needs shared mem you will probably end up
with a stateless SIP proxy with not many features.

Conclusion: it could theoreticly be possible to use Ser without shared mem
with probably a lot code changes. Allthough i do not understand the intention
for this goal and the result would be unsatisfactoy in terms of performance,
features etc.

Greetings
  Nils