[Serusers] Redhat 7.3 Compiler Question pertaining to SER

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Mon Apr 14 05:40:21 CEST 2003

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, Scott Holben wrote:
> I ran into
> some very strange behaviors with SER and the firewall.  I disconnected
> the firewall connection to the Internet and the SIP INVITE transactions
> stopped involving the firewall.  This was evident from analyzing
> Ethereal captures.  (It was if the firewall was in a promiscuous mode of
> operation an acted upon packets that did not apply to it.)

Firewall/NATs settings are almost always uncomfortably tricky. Try
sending us your dumps of you don't advance.

>  > make config  <- for SER
> .
> .
> .
>   Old gcc detected (2.9x), use  gcc >= 3.1 for better results
>   make: *** No rule to make target `config'.  Stop.
>
> My question is should I compile SER with the GCC 2.96 compiler or pay
> attention to the make config message and update GCC?

SER works with 2.9x, it is just slighlty slower -- you don't need
to be worried about it unless you are running some performance tests.

There is no "config" target in the makefile -- to compile, just call
"make; make modules".

-Jiri