[Serusers] Redhat 7.3 Compiler Question pertaining to SER

Scott Holben skaht at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 14 05:25:57 CEST 2003

Hi,

I got Pingtel, SipTone hardphones and Windows Messenger softphone to
work just fine with the SER 0.8.9  server on the Internet via a Intertex
IX66 firewall.

I tweaked the SIP phone configurations to use the SER 0.8.10 I installed
at home, from the binary RPM obtained from
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/ser/0.8.10/packages/redhat/7.x.  I ran into
some very strange behaviors with SER and the firewall.  I disconnected
the firewall connection to the Internet and the SIP INVITE transactions
stopped involving the firewall.  This was evident from analyzing
Ethereal captures.  (It was if the firewall was in a promiscuous mode of
operation an acted upon packets that did not apply to it.)

However, I still could not get INVITE transactions to generate 2xx
authentication.  So, I tried compiling the source code on my Redhat 7.3 box.

  > gcc -v
     Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
     gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)

 > make config  <- for SER
.
.
.
  Old gcc detected (2.9x), use  gcc >= 3.1 for better results
  make: *** No rule to make target `config'.  Stop.

My question is should I compile SER with the GCC 2.96 compiler or pay
attention to the make config message and update GCC?  (Some of the RPM
binaries differ from what I compiled with the default RH 7.3 GCC 2.96
compiler.)

Sincerely,

Scott Holben (skaht at iptel.org)