[Serusers] SER/SERWeb Howto...

Jan Janak J.Janak at sh.cvut.cz
Wed Dec 4 19:16:22 CET 2002

On 04-12 09:57, Dan Austin wrote:
> I don't have docbook, but I can look into it.

  That is not a problem, It was just an idea, simply write in your
  favorite editor.

> One of my concerns about attempting to write this is that I'm still learning the
> process.  Another is that I only have the one server running RedHat, so the steps
> will be oriented that way, at least to start.

   OK.

> I will integrate you're suggestions and provide another update shortly.

  Thank you very much !

> My last question/issue is about dependancies.  When I started working with SER
> I already had MySQL install, version 3.23.36 I believe.  I could not get the MySQL
> portion integration to work, and found that permissions were not correctly granted.
> After manually correcting the permissions, I had errors about the communications
> between SER and MySQL.  I updated MySQL to the latest stable release and
> client programs, and the integration worked with no manual intervention.

 I personaly use 3.23.52 for development, but I am sure that 3.23.36 works, we use it.
 What kind of communication error did you get ? Could you send me some error logs ?

> This prompts me to want to include a section about software that SER depends on,
> or can leverage, and identify the minimum revision known to work.  For this section
> I would need feedback about what has worked for others, as it failed for me with
> MySQL 3.23.36 and worked with 3.23.56, but I am sure there is a version inbetween.
> It may have also been a problem with the client programs and libraries.  I unfortunately
> do not have the resources to test all combinations, so if people care to send me a note
> with what versions they have installed, I can digest it into a recommendation section.

  3.23.36 works for us, but we set the permissions in a little bit different way
  (not by the ser_mysql script), but at least communication between ser and mysql seems
  to work fine.

    regards, Jan.