[Serusers] SER/SERWeb Howto...

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Dec 4 18:57:31 CET 2002

I don't have docbook, but I can look into it.

One of my concerns about attempting to write this is that I'm still learning the
process.  Another is that I only have the one server running RedHat, so the steps
will be oriented that way, at least to start.

I will integrate you're suggestions and provide another update shortly.

My last question/issue is about dependancies.  When I started working with SER
I already had MySQL install, version 3.23.36 I believe.  I could not get the MySQL
portion integration to work, and found that permissions were not correctly granted.
After manually correcting the permissions, I had errors about the communications
between SER and MySQL.  I updated MySQL to the latest stable release and
client programs, and the integration worked with no manual intervention.

This prompts me to want to include a section about software that SER depends on,
or can leverage, and identify the minimum revision known to work.  For this section
I would need feedback about what has worked for others, as it failed for me with
MySQL 3.23.36 and worked with 3.23.56, but I am sure there is a version inbetween.
It may have also been a problem with the client programs and libraries.  I unfortunately
do not have the resources to test all combinations, so if people care to send me a note
with what versions they have installed, I can digest it into a recommendation section.

Dan