[sr-dev] SPDX identifiers in source code

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Aug 16 10:42:56 CEST 2022

Hi!

SBOM - Software Bill of Materials - often comes up in discussions in my projects. There’s a new working group in the IETF working on it and several other standardization bodies.

A starting point is identification of the license in each source code file with a parseable SPDX identifier.

- Is anyone against adding that to our source code?
- Would it be beneficial for packaging in any way?

I think at some point in the future, a SBOM list in <pick format> will be included in packages, in order to be able to produce a SBOM for the container or the machine.

As we have multiple licenses in the source code it’s important to mark every file correctly.

I can start experimenting with http_client, then work myself around, if the dev community doesn’t scream and argue that it’s a bad thing (TM).

Read more here
- SPDX - a linux foundation project ans ISO standard - https://spdx.dev
- Tags in source code - https://spdx.dev/ids/

Cheers,