[sr-dev] Proxy protocol issue

Sergey Safarov s.safarov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 13:43:41 CEST 2021

Hi Federico
Here is also another issue here.
I do know how to HAproxy UDP messages but let talk about TCP/TLS
connections.
Imagine you know which socket ned to use to establish a new connection.

But you are not able to do it. Because HAproxy do not provide the ability
to establish a connection from the backend server to the client.
So real socket knowled do not help you. This do work with HAproxy servers.

What you can, establish a direct connection from Kamailio to the client
using a different socket with a different "advertise" keyword.

You anyway need another socket.
Any socket that you want.

Maybe you need anycast Kamailio installation?

Sergey

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 2:27 PM Federico Cabiddu <federico.cabiddu at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> https://www.haproxy.org/download/1.8/doc/proxy-protocol.txt
>>
>> "
>> The PROXY protocol's goal is to fill the server's internal structures
>> with the
>> information collected by the proxy that the server would have been able
>> to get
>> by itself if the client was connecting directly to the server instead of
>> via a
>> proxy. The information carried by the protocol are the ones the server
>> would
>> get using getsockname() and getpeername() :
>>   - address family (AF_INET for IPv4, AF_INET6 for IPv6, AF_UNIX)
>>   - socket protocol (SOCK_STREAM for TCP, SOCK_DGRAM for UDP)
>>   - layer 3 source and destination addresses
>>   - layer 4 source and destination ports if any
>> "
>>
>> So that internally Kamailio will have info of Client
>> source_ip:source_port/LB_external_IP:LB_external_port
>> You can confirm that by executing core.tcp_list command.
>>
>> For a call initiated by a client behind LB with proxy protocol, responses
>> will re-use existing TCP connection and will reach the client. But for
>> example if the call will be terminated from the callee side, (i.e new
>> transaction) Kamailio will fail to find existing TCP connection since it
>> does not know nothing about it and will try to open a new one, which, in
>> turn will fail either because of LB reject - if so_useport is disabled, or
>> if so_reuseport=yes because of the fact that in the OS there is already
>> opened TCP connection with the same tuple (ie. between LB and Kamailio
>> host)
>> So the way to use proxy protocol in Kamailio is DSR (direct server
>> return) scenarios.
>>
>> here you can find related conversation:
>> https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/issues/2103
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 2:43 PM Federico Cabiddu <
>> federico.cabiddu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I've been recently testing kamailio support for proxy protocol which was
>>> introduced by https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/issues/1757. As
>>> reported by others, even if kamailio is able to decode the proxy protocol
>>> and get the client's original IP address, it is unable to send SIP messages
>>> to the client which initiated the connection through the HA load balancer
>>> (nginx in my case). After investigation I've found that there is no alias
>>> added to the tcp connection aliases list for the tuple
>>> CLIENT_IP:CLIENT_PORT/LOCAL_KAMAILIO_IP:KAMAILIO_PORT. This means that when
>>> trying to forward a message to the originating client kamailio won't use
>>> the existing connection with the load balancer/proxy but will try to
>>> establish a new connection. The fact is that the function which parses the
>>> proxy header overwrites the dst ip/port of the connection with the
>>> "Destination IP" and "Destination Port" fields of the proxy header (
>>> for v2,
>>> https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/blob/f677dea597db6ceaa66a2755dd6e9e738855dc35/src/core/tcp_main.c#L1071