[sr-dev] Proxy protocol issue

Federico Cabiddu federico.cabiddu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 13:26:33 CEST 2021

Hi Arsen,
the issue is exactly that kamailio behind HA LB DON'T reuse the same
connection because there is no tcp alias for CLIENT_IP/LOCAL_KAMAILIO_IP,
because the kamailio local socket has been overwritten by the balancer IP.
I've read the specification and nowhere is written that the load balancer
IP must overwrite the local socket information. With the actual
implementation it is impossible to send back a message (not a reply, a
brand new one) to the client, because there is no matching tcp alias (I've
done a quite deep debug). Proxy protocol was mainly taught for
unidirectional flows (http), not for SIP. IMHO it is useless , if not
dangerous, that the local socket is rewritten with an IP that doesn't
belong to kamailio. Commenting the dst ip overwriting makes kamailio create
the correct alias for the tcp connection and reuse it to send, in example,
a BYE message from the callee to the caller.

Cheers,

Federico