[sr-dev] Python 2 EoL and app_python in > 5.4?

Anthony Alba ascanio.alba7 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 13:08:45 CET 2020

Hi devs,

Background: I am the porter of  app_python.so to Python 3
(app_python3.so)  nearly 3 years ago.

As we all know Python 2 reached EoL almost one year ago, it may be
timely to discuss the issue of when(if) to remove the Python 2 module
app_python.so in kamailio.

1. Debian: just over a year ago:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/11/msg00000.html

2. Python 2 EOL:
https://www.infoworld.com/article/3365221/python-2-end-of-life-how-to-survive-the-end-of-python-2.html

3. Debian Bullseye (not yet released):
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/2Removal "; "port upstream package to
python3 (or file upstream bug): make sure package doesn't call python
at build- or compile time (as there won't be a python package and no
python command in bullseye, only python3.) "

4. Debian Buster/Stretch - used in CI by the (Sipwise I think)
builders. EoL LTS ~2022 for Stretch, ~2024 for Buster.
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

Discussion: should app_python be dropped for Kamailio 5.5.x or  5.6.x?
What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Anthony