[sr-dev] New async HTTP module

Federico Cabiddu federico.cabiddu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:40:00 CET 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> I would like to see if we can merge this work with my curl module instead
> of having yet another HTTP interface (we already have too many). Daniel
> Stenberg, the author of Curl, has indicated that having multiple libCurl
> bindings in the same process is not a good thing, especially if we use
> HTTPS and have multiple OpenSSL initialisations.
>
> If it’s too far from the CURL module maybe it can use the CURL API that
> Hugh created and depend on curl.

I agree that it would be good to have a single HTTP interface but the
curl's handlers management done with the multi interface is really
different and even the API is not enough. Maybe we could have a module
offering two way of working: one using classic (single) easy handlers and
the other using multi interface and async processing. It would be a good
piece of work anyway :)

If it’s impossible, we should propably make a note that one should use one,
> not both modules, in the same configuration. If that’s the way forward,
> please steal the
> pseudovariable I implemented to catch the return codes from curl and
> possibly some of the modparams. :-)

I agree also on updating the documentation (at least for the moment until
we find if there's a way to have a single module) and borrowing pv and
modparams from the CURL module :)
Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Federico