[sr-dev] New async HTTP module

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Jan 18 15:56:33 CET 2016

> On 18 Jan 2016, at 15:46, Federico Cabiddu <federico.cabiddu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> with two colleagues (Camille Oudot and Giacomo Vacca) we have been working to an asynchronous HTTP module.
> The module uses libevent  (http://libevent.org/ <http://libevent.org/>) and cURL's multi inteface (http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-multi.html <http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-multi.html>). It instantiates N workers at startup, each able to generate multiple requests in parallel and to resume the execution of the routing script upon reception of the HTTP reply (or on error); if the query is executed in a transaction context, the transaction itself will be suspended and resumed before continuing the routing logic execution.
> The module, apart from implementing non blocking HTTP queries, also provides the ability to specify some HTTPS options per request, to customize HTTP headers and to use several HTTP methods (GET,POST,PUT,DELETE) making it very suitable for interacting with RESTful APIs.
> We hope that this module can be useful to many.
> As usual any feedback and improvement proposals are more than welcome!

I would like to see if we can merge this work with my curl module instead of having yet another HTTP interface (we already have too many). Daniel Stenberg, the author of Curl, has indicated that having multiple libCurl bindings in the same process is not a good thing, especially if we use HTTPS and have multiple OpenSSL initialisations.

If it’s too far from the CURL module maybe it can use the CURL API that Hugh created and depend on curl.

If it’s impossible, we should propably make a note that one should use one, not both modules, in the same configuration. If that’s the way forward, please steal the
pseudovariable I implemented to catch the return codes from curl and possibly some of the modparams. :-)

/O