[sr-dev] Documentation update for logging?

Camille Oudot camille.oudot at orange.com
Fri Apr 15 11:01:52 CEST 2016

Hi Olle

> There are a few modules that documents logging to syslog and some
> have configuration of channel ID.
>
> Should we update the docs? Are these logging to the logging system
> and can be redirected to systemd logs now?

I think we are good, because they are still usable. Systemd's journald
supports the syslog protocol, plus its own protocol. Anything that is
sent via syslog() is captured by journald and recorded in the journal,
as any event that would be sent via the journald logging API.

Journald also keeps track of the syslog facility information and stores
it a custom field [1], so this is still usable to differentiate log
sources.

[1]. https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.journal-fields.html#SYSLOG_FACILITY=

--
Camille