[sr-dev] Proposed Change to DMQ Notification Address Resolution

Robert Boisvert rdboisvert at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 21:46:02 CET 2015

Charles,

I coded and tested the attached patch based on 4.2.3 code.  So as not to
disturb current functionality, I add a modparam called "multi_notify".
When set to a non-zero value it loads all IPs returned by the SIP URI,
including those provided by DNS SRV records.

With regard to your point about the notifications being sent to all nodes
in the cluster, I noticed that if hosts A, B and C send notifications to D
and D is not available when the cluster starts DMQ will not function even
if D comes up some time later.  However, if I create a SRV record or A
records that resolve to hosts D and E and send notifications to that group
with multi_notify set to 1 then the cluster will always function as long as
one either D or E is functional.  Even in a well-designed network servers
may be unavailable for a period of time so this redundancy allows
functionality to be preserved during downtime.

We are having good success with this current patch and would like to
request that it be mainstreamed.

Thanks for considering this request and for your help,
Bob