[sr-dev] Security vulnerability handling

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Feb 5 16:03:16 CET 2015

On 05 Feb 2015, at 15:54, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to give proper details about the issue ...
>
> It is not that any 30x response sent by anyone was causing a crash, only
> those received in a transaction and handled via get_redirects(), with an
> empty URI in Contact header. That means an authenticated/trusted
> endpoint has to be involved in such a call. The code causing it is also
> quite old (might be close to 10 years now).
How was authentication involved? I could repeat the crash without auth.

If someone is using this function towards phones and the phone responds with a
crafted 302 - which is now in the wild - we will crash if this module
and function is used - regardless of how old the code is. A crash is a crash.
In a situation a message sent as a response will cause Kamailio to crash.
That's no good.

Even if we hope that there is no one using it this way, we can't know.
In my view, this is clearly a security issue.

> So there is no risk of being hit by malicious/unknown attackers from the
> wild.
I don't agree with this assesment.  We are allowed to have different views :-)

Note that this is propably the first time I have seen this kind of issue with
Kamailio...

I propably have to add conflict resolution to my security vulnerability proposal ;-)

/O