[sr-dev] New: max branches configurable via parameter

Alex Hermann alex at speakup.nl
Tue Oct 21 17:20:18 CEST 2014

On Friday 17 October 2014, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> 2) would it make sense to specify the max number of branches per
> transaction, in config, before creating the transaction? The upper limit
> will be the max_branches value from the core.
>
> 3) thinking of common cases of what can be forked a lot, I thought that
> we can a simplification of 2) by specifying two limits: one for initial
> requests which are very likely to have many branches (think of initial
> INVITE via LCR or location) and one for requests within dialog which are
> likely to have one or very few branches (e.g., replicating BYE to a peer
> server). Opinions?

I suggest to skip option 3, as 2 is a superset of it. No need to introduce
another limited interface.

I would prefer a different solution though: remove the maximum altogether
and dynamically allocate branch/uac structures. A lot of memory is wasted
now because memory is always allocated for the maximum number of branches
even though they're rarely being used.
--
Alex