[sr-dev] Wiki contributions

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 22:51:24 CET 2014

On 09/12/14 21:57, Fred Posner wrote:
> It's an interesting question since I (after a very quick and
> non-thorough search) didn't see anything regarding the ownership of
> material on the wiki.
>
> That being said, at least in the US, the contribution to a wiki is
> generally considered a "copyleft" writing... basically posting a free
> license and requiring that it can be edited, with the edits also being
> of a free license.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft
>
> I believe that this should apply to us as well, since any one posting
> on the wiki can have that content modified by anyone else.
>
> The nature of the wiki is a collaborative, living document. I think
> the only issue that may befall us is if people have posted someone
> else's content onto the wiki.
>
> That being said, we should probably post something onto the site
> and/or wiki choosing between either a GNU style license or a Creative
> Commons one.
>
> I for one would like as few licenses as possible so if we just cover
> the wiki in the Kamailio main license, that would be great...
>
> such as:
>
> "Kamailio is released under GNU Public License v2 (GPLv2). The content
> of the website, wiki, and documentation are included within this
> license."
Not sure it should be extended to the documentation in the code, that is
typically part of a module that has a license with it (some are bsd there).

Anyhow, what so ever form, it can be added to the disclaimer section in
the first page:

 - http://www.kamailio.org/wiki/start#disclaimer

I am fine with any free to use license. I think that if we do it, it has
to explicitly say:

       "Any contribution to the wiki must be done under these terms."

There is a remark about 'illegal' content must be reported (and we will
remove it if proved legit) -- I guess that applies if someone is copying
from other sources with different license and we are notified about that.