[sr-dev] Kamailio security in general

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net
Thu Oct 31 15:17:44 CET 2013

On 31 October 2013 14:07, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> Hitting me with my own argument and code, that's cheating Peter :-)

It's fun to play dirty once in a while :-)

> Well, DMQ is one very strange and advanced module, I admit that. Like I
> said earlier I think my discussion now is more generic to how we
> communicate and build the product. I'm trying to change the attitude in a
> large group of stubborn engineers, including most of me, myself and I...

I certainly favour having security (and easy to use security) as a goal.
 But one of the things I like about Kamailio is the flexibility.  For
example, secure signalling is harder to trace (that's kind of the point),
so when building a network I will tend do so with security disabled (or at
least not enforced) so that I can make sure I am happy with the routing,
and then tighten things up before I let other people on it.

> Having said that, I haven't forgotten that I need to work on your
> to-do-list, Peter. TLS connection verification is one of the items high on
> that list.

Indeed.  Currently my personal hit-list for Kamailio 4.2 is:

   - auth_ephemeral secrets in a database table
   - per-message/frame deflate for WebSockets
   - validation of outbound TLS connections
   - SIP DANE

And if there is time I'd like to do some more work on MSRP too :-)

> /O :-)

Peter Dunkley
Technical Director
Crocodile RCS Ltd