[sr-dev] executing tm:branch-failure event_route also when t_relay() fails?

Hugh Waite hugh.waite at crocodile-rcs.com
Mon May 13 23:37:00 CEST 2013

I can't remember if branches using TCP that fail to establish a
connection generate a 408 Timeout response or not (eventually). I know I
have seen them on the registrar servers when the edge/outbound proxy has
failed (in certain tests e.g. when a 430 is not returned), but they
might have been locally generated.

If an immediate error is detected, like a TCP connection failure,
perhaps a different 'fake' reply, similar to timeout could be generated
and sent through the reply handling code for that UAC. This would
trigger the branch_failure route and also the failure route when all
replies are received, allowing faster response handling instead of timeouts.

Hugh

On 13/05/2013 18:51, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> i did some reading of tm code and found that currently tm:branch_failure
> block seems to be handled only by code in t_reply.c.  when t_relay() fails
> there is no reply processing and thus no execution of tm:branch-failure
> block.
>
> perhaps something similar to t_reply()/run_branch_failure_handlers()
> could be done in t_send_branch() when sending fails?  i'm pretty sure
> that t->on_branch_failure is set in t_send_branch().  it is thus the
> matter on getting the corresponding tm:branch_failure block executed.
>
> -- juha

Hugh Waite
Principal Design Engineer
Crocodile RCS Ltd.