[sr-dev] notify process-dialogs() problem

Shane Harrison shane.harrison at paragon.co.nz
Tue Jan 29 21:38:13 CET 2013

Thanks Peter.  Note I have repeated your answer below in this correctly
titled thread since I accidently hijacked a thread with my original post.

I take your point on race conditions.  But this doesn't feel like a race
condition.  It is pretty predictable.  Basically if the "updated" column is
set to an odd number then process_dialogs() never processes that database
notify entry.

This only happens in db-mode 2 (database only).  In db-mode 1 the notifies
are handled immediately and we never see this issue.  At least that is my
conclusion from observations.

Cheers
Shane

Peter Dunkley wrote

The polled notification stuff in 3.3.3 has some issues. There are some
database related race-hazards that mean you could have problems. These have
been resolved by adding new features to the database library - but as these
are new features they are only present in git master at the moment. The
presence modules in git master have been updated to use these new features.

It is also worth noting that the PostgreSQL database driver in git master
is significantly more advanced, in terms of features, than the other
database drivers. The presence notifier stuff has only been tested with
PostgreSQL and may well be totally dependent on features that are only in
the driver for that database (it should still run without crashing when
using other databases but will probably not function correctly). When you
do your retest please make sure that you use PostgreSQL - if you must use
another database then you will need to update the Kamailio driver for that
database to include support for the following new APIs:

   - init2
   - start_transaction
   - end_transaction
   - abort_transaction
   - query_lock

Please retry with git master and PostgreSQL and let me know if the problem
persists.

Regards,

Peter

--