[sr-dev] MSRP relay authentication

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodile-rcs.com
Thu Oct 25 13:40:34 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am doing some work on this module right now myself.

I did think of putting a bit of code into the auth module that, where
the method is selected, checks to see if the request is an MSRP one and,
if it is, selects the method using the same mechanism as for
$msrp(method).

I am also looking at the handling of the To-Path: header as I am not
sure that is correct.  If I have two MSRP clients connected to the same
relay my To-Path: header in a SEND will be:

	To-Path: msrps://relay_address:relay_port/foo \			<-- From the Use-Path: in response to _MY_ AUTH
			msrps://relay_address:relay_port/bar \		<-- From the Use-Path: in response to peers AUTH
			msrps://client_address:client_port/wibble	<-- Peer

This is based on RFC 4967 section 5.1 paragraph three:

	... To form the To-Path header for outgoing
	requests, the client takes the list of URIs in the Use-Path header
	after the outermost authentication and appends the list of URIs
	provided in the path attribute in the peer's session description. ...

The example event_route[] in the MSRP README contains the following
logic for SEND handling:

		if($msrp(nexthops)>1)
		{
			msrp_reply("200", "Received");
			msrp_relay();
			exit;
		}
		$var(sessid) = $msrp(sessid);
		if($sht(msrp=>$var(sessid)::srcaddr) == $null)
		{
			# one more hop, but we don't have address in htable
			msrp_reply("481", "No Such Session");
			exit;
		}
		msrp_relay_flags("1");
		msrp_set_dst("$sht(msrp=>$var(sessid)::srcaddr)",
				"$sht(msrp=>$var(sessid)::srcsock)");
		msrp_relay();
		exit;
	}

But I seem to have problems with this as the msrp_relay() when
$msrp(nexthops) > 1 fails (this could be related to my changes for WS
support as it is a problem finding/creating a TCP connection to the next
relay).  However, ideally the MSRP relay should spot that the first two
URIs on the To-Path: are itself and eat them both - setting $msrp(...)
appropriately - rather than looping MSRP requests back to itself.

Also, I think the same handling should be performed for routing REPORT
requests too - so the overall logic of the MSRP event_route[] should be:

        if (msrp_is_reply())
        	msrp_relay();
        else if ($msrp(method) == "AUTH") {
        } else if ($msrp(method) == "SEND" || $msrp(method) == "REPORT") {
        } else
        	msrp_reply("501", "Request-method-not-understood");

Regards,

Peter

--
Peter Dunkley