[sr-dev] WebSockets and NAT

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodile-rcs.com
Tue Nov 13 23:17:27 CET 2012

Hello,

If the call gets established at the signalling level then Kamailio is
doing all that it can do.

Media NAT traversal for WebSockets is done using ICE and is a function of
the clients - Kamailio does not have anything to do with this.  I have had
problems using Boghe across NAT before - I am not sure the ICE
implementation in there works properly.

sipml5, however, will use the ICE implementation in the browser - which
should work fine.

A good test would be to see if you can make a call between two sipml5
instances in different networks.  If that works then it strongly indicates
that there is a problem with the ICE implementation in Boghe/IMSDroid.

Regards,

Peter

> Dear list,
>
> I've successfully set up a Kamailio proxy build from the development
> trunk and configured it with the WebSockets example configuration file
> (adapted to my needs). I'm using sipml5 to test and if the two clients
> are within the same network everything works fine. As soon as one of the
> clients is on a different network I can initiate a call but there's no
> audio and video. This is probably a NAT issue so I wondered if anyone
> else got this working. If it's something in the Kamailio config, please
> let me know. If it's something in sipml5 I'll take it there. Boghe and
> IMSDroid aren't working either (they don't update the receive column in
> my location table, but that could be a Kamailio config error on my side
> too) so it could be related to the Doubango framework too.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeremy

Peter Dunkley
Technical Director