[sr-dev] IETF-RFCs and Diversion header

Henning Westerholt hw at kamailio.org
Tue Jan 31 12:47:11 CET 2012

On Tuesday 31 January 2012, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> [...]
> My question is, apart of rfc number and the policy more recent (bigger
> values) obsoletes older (lower value) specification, does the Informational
> or Historic category to set some extra rules?

Hi Daniel,

if I understand RFC 6044 correctly, its about the interworking between
History-Info and Diversion. About the syntax changes I can't comment at the
moment.

>  Btw, are people here still using (or ever used -- I didn't so far)
> Diversion?

Yes, we're using it a lot at the moment. AFAIK one of the reasons that the
IETF published Diversion as a history RFC was to admit that even after seven
years since the publishing of RFC 4244 people keep using the Diversion header.
Probably because its just simpler for the common use case - preventing call
forwarding loops in VoIP signalization and PSTN interconnection and many
existing equipment out there supports it.

Best regards,

Henning