[sr-dev] problem with tracking master

Alex Hermann alex at speakup.nl
Thu Sep 8 11:58:31 CEST 2011

On Thursday 08 September 2011, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Alex Hermann writes:
> > Is local mtree branch supposed to track master?

> > From the above commands, I don't see why it should. Local branch jh
> > tracks origin/jh/mtree, not master. So why would a master change
> > suddenly appear in the jh branch? I would expect changes you push to
> > origin/jh/mtree to appear in your local jh branch after a pull, nothing
> > else.
>
> if jh/mtree tracks master (as it according to the wiki page is supposed
> to do) and when jh tracks remote branch jh/mtree, then according to
> normal logic it follows that also jh tracks master.

It does, but requires a bit more work. Git doesn't do recursive pull's
(automatically).

You'd first have to pull master in jh/mtree, push that out to origin, and then
pull that into local jh.

The --track option really doesn't do anything more than setting a default, it
does not imply automatic behavior in any way.

--
Greetings,

Alex Hermann