[sr-dev] IMS branch

kamal koubaa kamal.koubaa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:03:06 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Jason Penton <jason.penton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kamal,
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM, kamal koubaa <kamal.koubaa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Carsten, Jason and Klaus,
>>
>> Thank you for this nice discussion, it's good to know others motivations
>> :).
>> I am very new to this project, and am starting my master thesis
>> project that is too close to what you do, my project is about
>> interconnecting IMS users and H.248 users
>
> 'interconnecting' - what do you mean by this? I would imagine this is a
> simple gateway function so I'm not quite sure to what extent you want to
> interconnect? maybe you can elaborate?

I mean, interconnecting signaling messages,
basically take h.248 message parse and get information needed to build
sip messages
and the other way around

I don't have to touch anything in the gateways development, it's just
about signaling between h.248 and ims user, gateway comtrollers and
ims core.

>> , for the H.248 part am
>> working on SmallMGC "http://www.smallmgc.org/" and for the IMS side am
>> trying to use SIP Router, if I succeed to use SmallMGC  as a module to
>> SIP Router I would be able to get SIP Router top act as an AGCF and
>
> I don't think SR/Kamailio is the correct place to build a gateway. For a
> University POC, maybe, but I would imagine it would be far better to build
> it as a separate AGCF entity with an IMS stack (possibly something like
> doubango - very good IMS stack IMO).

AGCF works much like MGCF, while MGCF take PSTN/ISDN signaling the
sip/ims world, AGCF do that for h.248/megaco. No gateway will be
built.
I attached a schema of the AGCF architecture.

>> that is the main goal of my project.
>> I tried to install SIP Router from the IMS branch but I got some bugs,
>> may be I should wait for the release of the 3.2 version?
>
> 3.2 won't make a diff for IMS extensions, however, we are now really close
> to putting in another branch with the latest stuff we are doing with
> kamailio and IMS. Just give us a few more days.

alright I'm waiting for it.
Thanks for the answer and the great work you are doing,

Regards
kamal